Beiträge von Toni Oostendorp

Wie schwer? Wenn das Messer fertig ist soll ich das wegen, habe dieses model vorher noch nicht in 6mm starke gebaut.

Die scheide soll ein Kydex scheide von Martin Sheaths oder Wookie sheaths sein.

Dieses Messer fällt in die Kategorie der harten Einsatz Messer. Für mich ist das ein Messer das für viele verschiedene Dinge verwendet werden kann. einen Apfel schälen bis zum Bau einer Unterkunft. Darüber hinaus soll der Bull Shark einige missbrauch tolerieren.

Missbrauch ist der Grund für den Bauweise die ich verwendet habe. Ich mache noch zwei verschiedene Modellen, die Krebbekx und Orbis die noch stärker sind. sie sind als halb integral gebaut, und deshalb teurer.
    Ich arbeite derzeit an meiner Webseite. hoffentlich wird es nächste Woche fertig sein. Alle Modelle werden gut vorgestellt werden.

well there are a number of reasons, first of all i like the stick tang because you won't have any metal in your hand and you can use a pommel for hammering. the downside is that you have a weakpoint in the mid-section, the transfer from blade to tang. For a hard use knife most people solve this problem by using extreme thick stock (7-9mm). I combined the extrema ratio build up with a hardened pommel that has been peened by the tang (the oldest way of attaching a handle). So now I have some room left in the handle, that will be filled with rubber. You end up with two slabs, rubber liners and a hardened pommel.

in this thread you can see the finished product and an explanation in German.

Bull Shark m2 - Klein und Medium

I'm working on an order for a customer that came to a stand still when my forge broke down. So I started this Bull Shark - M for a buddy of mine.

I will post some pictures of work in progress. Sorry for the English, didn't have time to properly translate into German (takes me more time....)

Steel: Cru Forge V
    Thickness: 6mm
    Scales: Green/Black linnen micarta

grips and blade

next steps will be the grinding by hand with diamond stones, to make all lines straight and crisp. But first vacation :D

The BladeSports season 2010/2011 has started and boy did it start out well for BladeSports Netherlands. The president of BladeSports International, Jose Diaz, was so kind to send us a gift in the form of two competition blades!! To support our young and growing club he decided to send two of his beauty’s overseas. Great gesture and a real show of character.:thumbup:

So what did he made? Well two forged knives out of 52100 with rubber grips, both immediately recognizable by the Diaztools style. Both knives comply with the measurements stated by BladeSports (for more information see: http://www.bladesports.org), but are a bit different when compared to other competition knives.

First off the angle of the handle is something that stands out immediately. The severe angle will be more efficient in chopping instead of a handle that is in line with the blade. The second thing that stands out is the concave grind which is more concave than you see on other blades. With a 10mm spine it is a hefty blade. The grip is constructed out of a full tang with rubber slabs on both sides. The rubber slabs are cut out of horsestall mats. This product is made out of recycled material and has a rough structure making is very non-slip. The shape of the handle has a pronounced belly and swells on the sides.

Erik Markman and Jurgen Krebbekx volunteert to test both blades. Both gentleman are rather fanatic (and a bit crazy in my opinion) so the blades wouldn’t be spared…..They put on their wooden shoes and were ready for anything.

They started with the cardboard tubes, one of 7cm and one of 12cm diameter. First slicing of sections, no problem, actually so easy that they went straight to the 12 cm tube and tried cutting it in half. This is a hard test where you need all your strength and speed. While doing this test the somewhat round handle tried to turn in the hand. A bit more oval shaped handle would have been better in this test. The concave grind split the tube very well.

Up next was the 2x4. The wood we use in the Netherlands is harder than the wood used in the US. Also we use a non-straight grain wood which makes it harder to chop out big chunks.

We were very curious to see how a knife designed for American wood, would perform on our wood. Well that went very well!! The concave grind, the angle on the grip and the weight made sure that Erik and Jurgen clocked really good times. The chunks of wood flying through the air were large enough to build a small canoe. Last the soda cans, when held to the right angel, the blade sliced through the metal like it wasn’t there. No problem at all.

Conclusion:

Every knife is the result of concessions. This blade is not any different. The focus of this blade lies in our view on chopping. The curved blade, grip angle, weight and concave grind make it the ideal chopper! It is so good at it that a BladeSports competitor can save a lot of time on the 2x4 vertical or horizontal. The grip could be a bit more oval, but that’s a matter of personal taste and also something that is easily fixed. Well the Dutch Competitors who do not have a knife of their own are now serious competitiors!! They can thank Jose Diaz, president of BladeSports International for this.

Want to see more of Jose’s work, check out his website: http://www.diaztools.com

Jose Diaz's Competition Blade next to the browning competition cutter.

Ich hab großen Respekt vor dir, dass du es schaffst ein Messer derart zu missbrauchen. Ich benütze meine Messer zwar auch und bin nicht ziemperlich, aber sowas bringe ich nicht übers Herz.

Eine kurze Frage zur Schneide: Ist da ein leichter Recurve geschliffen, oder sieht das nur so aus?

Danke, stimmt das Messer hat ein leichter Recurve.

Grussen,

Toni

Jedes Mal wenn ich etwas über ein Modell ändere, mach ich einen Zerstörungstest. Einige Leute denken, es schade ist, aber ich denke, dass es ein Teil Ihres Prüfungsprogramms ist den ein Hersteller tun sollte. Das Bull Shark ist ein Benutzermesser, dem ich wissen müssen, was es tunn kann. Außerdem suche ich immer nach Verbesserungen. Um Sie zu verbessern müss ich wissen wo die schwachen Punkte sind. Die letzten Änderungen, die ich vornahm, sind der Griff und die Weise der Verhärtung.

Griff: Wurde aus Gummi mit einer micarta Distanzscheibe und einem verhärteten Knauf heraus gebildet. Jetzt zwei Stücken micarta mit Gummizwischenlagen, micarta Distanzscheibe und verhärtetem Knauf.

Verhärtung: Ich verhärtete in meiner Schmiede mit einem Temperaturmeßinstrument. Jetzt verhärte ich in einem elektrischen Ofen mit Temperaturmeßinstrument.

Test: In Hanging Rock Nationalpark in den USA hatte ich etwas Spaß .....

Verhärtung: Ich rammte das Messer mit dem Punkt in einem Stück Holz, um es heraus zu brechen. Der Zweck war zu sehen wenn das Blatt zuerst verbiegen würde, bevor es brechen würde. In meiner Erfahrung sollte ein gut verhärtetes Stück O1 das tun. Nachdem der Punkt in das Holz kam, setzte ich mein ganze Gewicht auf den Handgriff, um das Messer auszubrechen. Nach 7 mal brach der Punkt. Im End war der Klinge 5mm Verbogen. So, gute Leistung in meinem Buch. Ich lasse den Punkt ein wenig stärker im zukünft, um sicherzustellen, dass er stark genug ist.

Griff: Beim Ausbrechen des Messers, blieb der Griff völlig intakt. Trotz der seitlicher Kraft war keine Spaltung der Griff. So prüfte ich die Knauf. Mit einem Stein fing ich an, auf die verhärtete Knauf zu hammern. Dieses war ein aufregender Test, da der Griff aus verschiedenen Materialien ist aufgebaut. Aber ausgenommen die Beschichtung, hielt alles zusammen. Ich bin mit den Resultaten sehr erfreut und ich weiß, wo ich verbessern kann.

Einige Abbildungen:

Grussen,

Toni

Hallo Fluchtuer I am the good looking guy of the bunch :D ........ well I am the last guy competing, in the black polo with DKE Staff on the back.

Here's a pic of the winners:

f.l.t.r. Erik Markman (1), Toni Oostendorp (2), Martin Vermeij (3), Ed de Pauw (DKE), Dolf Keizer (Dutch importer of Spyderco)

All winners received a Spyderco knife and trophy sponsored by Spyderco.

Hi, yes THIS is fun. The guys using all the same kind of knife???

Well because it is a competition there are rules for the size of the knife, basicly: 25 cm blade, 5cm high, 13 cm handle (38 cm overall). Most guys try to make the knife as close to these measurements as possible, so they look more or less the same. Because most stages are slicing, cutting or chopping, most knives have no point (keeping the weight forward).

We have 4 club knives, so when someone want to join and has no knife, there are always these club knives.

My current knife...

BladeSports NLD

Hi I would like to introduce BladeSports NLD here on the forum. For the people who don’t know what BladeSports is, click on one of the youtube links and it will tell more than a thousand words. But to try, BladeSports is a competition in which knives are used to cut en chop through a number of stages. The person who can do this safely and successfully in the least amount of time wins. Simple…

BladeSports International is an American organization with two daughter organizations being BladeSports UK and BladeSports Netherlands. Every year the world championship is being organized on the BladeShow in Atlanta. This year the first Dutch BladeSporter competed in this event.

So what is the link between BladeSports and a tactical forum. Well the focus of tactical knives is real time use. No stories, no marketing, no fantasies, but real hard use in situations that are not predefined. This means that the maker should test his knives, techniques and materials. BladeSports, besides being a lot of fun, can be a great part of this testing.

Is a tang knife strong enough? A question that’s being asked very frequently, but is being answered in these competitions. When you look at the abuse the knives go through during a competition, only the strongest knives will survive. Stick tang knives not only are strong enough, but are also much better to control (in my opinion). Steels, handle material, configurations etc. All are being tested in the competitions. You learn real time what works and what not. So what are some of the things I learned? Cheap safety cord will rip your flesh till it bleeds, use good paracord. Grooved handles look nice but will tear your hand up when cutting through a 2”x4” wooden beam, plain old rubber will produce a superior grip, a convex edge will save you lots of seconds, etc.

So is BladeSports the ultimate testing ground? No certainly not but it can be part of your testing routine. Even if you are not a knifemaker but own a big knife, it might be a very fun way to test your knife in a controlled surrounding. Also you can impove your cutting techniques, will save you time in the woods…

BladeSports NLD will organize new meetings in August or September, interested people are more than welcome to join. Would you like to participate in the competitions than join one of the certification meetings and be part of all the fun!

The Dutch website: www.bladesports.nl

Cutting the 2x4 wooden beam

Cutting a standing 2x4 wooden beam

Cutting as much full rings as possible, every ring represents bonus points

Cutting the free hanging rope op 2,5 cm, the second rope is 3,75 cm and the third 5,0 cm.

Cutting a standing cardboard tube in two

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM4Zl001ITY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0IoHO26Nrg